In March 2020, Governor Greg Abbott announced a temporary waiver for certain vehicle titles and registration requirements due to the COVID-19 pandemic. That waiver will end at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, April 14. So, if you’re overdue it’s time to renew!
The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) reminds Texans to complete any overdue transactions now.
“It is not necessary to wait until the deadline,” said TxDMV Executive Director Whitney Brewster. “The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles continued to offer registration renewal and other important services throughout the waiver period. Fortunately, many Texans are already in compliance with the requirements.”
Renewing your vehicle registration
There are three ways to renew your vehicle registration:
• Online: Visit TxDMV. gov or www.Texas.gov. This is the quickest and least expensive way to renew and you can save $1. Online renewal is available up to nine months past your registration expiration date.
• Mail: Return the bottom portion of your registration renewal form, payment and other required information to the Atascosa County Tax Office in Jourdanton.
• In-person: For Atascosa County, you can go to the tax office located at 1001 Oak Street in Jourdanton. The Lytle Substation at 1567 FM 3175 in Lytle is also open on Wednesdays from 9 a.m.- 12 p.m. and 1-4 p.m. You can also renew your registration at H-E-B if you have your renewal form and it is not expired or “farm.”
A passing vehicle inspection
Before renewing your vehicle registration, you need to obtain a passing vehicle inspection at any state vehicle inspection station of your choice, unless your vehicle is exempt from inspection requirements.
The expiring temporary waiver covers the following services:
• Initial vehicle registration
• Vehicle registration renewal
• Vehicle titling
• Renewal of permanent disabled parking placards
• 30-day temporary permits
For questions about vehicle titles and registrations in Atascosa County, please call the Atascosa County Tax Office in Jourdanton at 830-769-3842. Their lobby is open Monday Friday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and their drive-thru is open from 8 a.m.-12 noon.