Attention, bakers! The 2019 Poteet Strawberry Festival “Taste of Texas” Food Show will take place on Sunday, April 7.
The food show has existed since the mid 1980’s with the purpose of raising scholarship money for local youth. The food show is open to bakers of all ages, with a wide variety of classes ranging from cakes, cookies, jelly, and salsa.
This year, there is an added exciting incentive of a cash prize of $100 to the best decorated item in each age division.
Here are the rules for entering:
The 2019 Poteet Strawberry Festival “Taste of Texas” Food Show
DATE: SUNDAY, April 7, 2019.
PLACE: Rotary Club Pavilion (Poteet Strawberry Festival Grounds)
TIMES: 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. Check in food items;
11 a.m.-12 noon – Judging ;
1 p.m. — Auction
1. Entries must be received between 8:30 and 10:30 a.m.
2. When registering, use full name, mailing address, and phone number.
3. Bring your recipe typed on an 8 ½” x 11” sheet of paper. Write name, address, phone number, age, and date on BACK of recipe. Recipes will be used in judging food items. Recipes are required for all entries.
NO RECIPE, NO ENTRY!
4. Food entries must be the COMPLETE recipe displayed for judging. (Ex. If the recipe makes 3 dozen cookies, you must enter all 3 dozen cookies)
5. The food item should be placed on a disposable plate and covered with plastic wrap for appearance and cleanliness.
6. All entries including recipes and containers will become the property of the Taste of Texas Food Show.
7. No refrigeration is available. Please take this into consideration when selecting a recipe to enter.
8. Food items will be identified by number assigned by the Food Show Committee during registration.
9. No commercial food or products will be accepted.
10. No entry fee is required. However, you will be required to pay gate admission to participate.
11. Only one entry will be accepted in each class (ex. you may not enter 2 cakes) per contestant.
12. Food must be prepared by the exhibitor and must be homemade. Recipes that call for a mix as an ingredient will be permitted. (Ex. You may NOT enter a cake made solely from a box mix)
13. You must return to the food show area BEFORE 1 p.m. to present your food at the auction.
14. A portion of the funds collected during the auction will be used for scholarships for qualifying youth. Non-placing entries will be sold by the food show committee to raise funds for scholarships.
15. The Food Show Committee reserves the right to combine classes or to add new classes if necessary.
16. BEST OF SHOW will be open to all Junior, Pre- Teen and Teen entries only.
17. BERRY BEST OF SHOW will be open to Junior, Pre- Teen and Teen entries only and must have at least 1 cup of strawberries as an ingredient or a garnish.
18. Grand and Reserve Champion will be awarded in each age division.
19. Ribbons will be awarded through 3rd place. 4th place winners in all youth divisions will receive a ribbon and a prize of $25 by mail.
20. One item per age division will be awarded a cash prize for best decoration.
Junior – 5 to 8 Pre-Teen – 9 to 13 Teen – 14 to 18 Adult – 19 and up
FOOD SHOW CLASSES:
A. All Cakes, B. Cheesecakes, C. All Cookies & Candies, D. Yeast Breads & Quick Breads, E. Pies, F. Miscellaneous, J. Jam & Jelly (Subcategories: Strawberry & Other) and S. Salsa.
Jam & Jelly Show and Salsa Contest
General rules for food show will also apply to the Jam & Jelly Show and Salsa Contest.
•Jam & Jelly and Salsa entries must use 2 – ½ pint (2 – 8 oz.) canning jars imprinted with manufacturer’s name.
•Jars may be labeled with name of product and date prepared. Labels may not contain the contestant name or any other information.
•There will be no age group division.
•Best of Show Jam & Jelly and Best of Show Salsa will be auctioned off during the sale.
•Prize money will be given to winners in each category. (Strawberry & Other)
1st Place – $50.00 (if not sold in auction)
2nd Place – $25.00
3rd Place – $15.00
For more information you may contact any of the following:
•Janet Bartek at (830) 276-8197
•Ruth Ann Schultze at (830) 570-3090
•Strawberry Festival Association Office at (830) 742-8144.