It is already midto late July and that means that the Pleasanton Young Farmers’ Cowboy of the Year Open Rodeo will be here before you know it, August 17-18 to be exact!
But before we can start planning on having fun watching two nights of great rodeos and listening (maybe dancing) to John Wolfe and John Christopher Way, we have to find the newest Cowboy of the Year.
The deadline to nominate for both the Cowboy and the inductee(s) into the South Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame is Friday, July 27.
South Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame nominees must have worked in Atascosa County, but no longer have to be active or living in the county. The Cowboy of the Year must live in the county and still be active.
Those submitting nominations should include the following information:
• Years of experience as a cowboy;
• Overall knowledge and ability with a horse;
• Ability in working with the trailing cattle herds of various sizes in the brush country;
• Knowledge of cattle habits and ailments;
• Character and dependability; and
• Why the person making the nomination believes his/ her candidate is worthy of the Cowboy of the Year title or to be inducted into the hall of fame.
The way I see it, if you know of someone who is deserving to be named Cowboy of the Year or to be inducted into the South Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame, please submit!
Please email, mail or bring by the office your nomination. The Pleasanton Express is proud to coordinate and help sponsor this event since its inception in 1966.
SUE BROWN is the editor of the Pleasanton Express. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or write at P.O. Drawer 880, Pleasanton, TX 78064.