Friday morning Jourdanton Police Department officers responded to a domestic situation that escalated to a situation with an edged weapon involved.
Upon arrival Jourdanton officers, along with an Investigator from the 81st Judicial District Attorney’s Office, could hear a fight in progress and yelling and screaming coming from inside the residence.
At the same time, an individual who witnessed the incident told police that a male subject allegedly had a knife and was assaulting a female inside.
Police quickly found the suspect, Mark Dillard, age 29, inside the residence, and after interviewing witness and victims, placed Dillard under arrest for alleged Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon/ Family Violence and Endangering a Child.
He was transported and remanded to the custody of the Atascosa County Jail.
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic or family violence or sexual abuse, contact the Safer Path Family Crisis Shelter at 830-569-2001.
Their services are local and are free of charge.
The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV) provides a comprehensive National Statistics Domestic Violence Fact Sheet, which includes the following data:
• More than 10 million women and men are physically abused by an intimate partner each year in the U.S.
• 19% of domestic violence involves a weapon. The presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide by 500%.
• 72% of all murder-suicides involve an intimate partner.
• 94% of these victims are female.
• 1 in 15 children are exposed to intimate partner violence each year, and 90% of these children are eyewitnesses to this violence.