Jerrold Guy Meredith of Pleasanton passed away at home Dec. 21, 2021, at the age of 75.

He was born Nov. 13, 1946, to Porter Miles and Willeta May (Blaine) Meredith while his father was stationed at Tacoma, Washington’s Fort Lewis.

He was preceded in death by his parents, grandparents and best friend, Don Reid, of St. Francisville, Louisiana.

He is survived by his loving and devoted wife and son, Dotty and Dustin Meredith, brother and sisterin law, Sam and Theresa Meredith, nephew and his wife, David and Lindsey Meredith, great-nephews Henry and Holden Meredith, former sister-in-law Peggy Meredith, niece Micky Meredith (Birdsong), great niece Anna Stark and cousins not only in Arkansas but literally around the world with one living in Japan.

Jerry was baptized in San Antonio when his Dad was stationed at Brooks AFB. The family later lived in Spokane, Washington and Bossier City, Louisiana. His dad’s last station was Little Rock Air Force Base in Jacksonville, Arkansas.

Jerry attended Ridge Road Junior High and graduated from “Ole Main,” (North Little Rock High School) in 1965. During this time, he worked at Huggins Drug Store as what he called a ‘soda jerk,’ and delivered for a local florist.

Jerry was proud to be a Life Member of the Order of DeMolay and the recipient of the Chevalier Degree.

He was on the golf teams in high school and college. He later played as much as possible when not out of town working for USAA. Over the years he enjoyed playing golf with Jack, Dotty’s cousin, whenever possible … considering Jack and Jo Ann lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Jack told Jerry how good he thought he could be if he played more than with him on vacation. Jack was probably right since Jerry loved golf and enjoyed watching The Golf Channel.

Jerry served in the United States Air Force. He served three years at Bergstrom AFB in Austin as a Medical Service Specialist. He worked in the ER, Obstetrics and was the NCOIC of Pediatrics.

In Austin he also sold women’s shoes at Butler’s; he had been Assistant Manager until he left Bergstrom to serve one year in South Viet Nam’s Cam Ranh Bay Air Base hospital in AEROVAC. He was honorably discharged in October 1970.

He returned to Austin, where he and Dotty Gibson were married.

In January 1971, they moved to his home state of Arkansas. Jerry graduated with a degree in marketing and management from Henderson State College in 1973, walking across the stage in May 1974.

After graduation he worked in computer sales for the Burroughs Corporation and then for GAB Business Services as an independent adjuster. He trained and developed expertise as he worked CATS (catastrophes) from hailstorms to hurricanes from his offices in San Antonio and then Laredo where Dustin was born.

Jerry’s next position with GAB was in Pasadena, which afforded him the opportunity to work challenging industrial claims in and around the Port of Houston.

He thrived in that work environment while Dotty and Dustin were dealing with health issues due to the air pollution. It was tolerable, but not ideal, especially for a toddler with ear infections.

In 1979, GAB transferred Jerry to San Angelo where he was the branch manager. West Texas was literally a breath of fresh air with such friendly people … and a nice golf course, too.

In February 1982, he was hired by USAA; the Meredith’s moved to Pleasanton, only an hour ride to the office.

While there Jerry gave up more than golf to support his family. He traveled thousands of miles to Hawaii and Guam, from Connecticut to California and many states in between. He advanced from an adjuster to CAT site manager, CAT Coordinator, CAT Field Team Leader and then CAT Flood Coordinator.

He retired from USAA in 2006, but continued working from home as a claims examiner for an Independent Adjusting firm until his diagnosis of kidney cancer in late 2018.

The next three years were full of challenges, including two surgeries for brain cancer; Jerry met each one with a positive attitude and a smile. His faith in God and prayer support from all over the world kept him lifted up until it was time for the Lord to call him home.

A service will be held Tuesday, Jan. 18 at 10:15 a.m. at Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery, (Committal Shelter #2) at 1520 Harry Wurzbach Rd. in San Antonio with a celebration of his life at 2:30 p.m. in the chapel of Hurley Funeral Home in Pleasanton with a time for visitation at 2 p.m.

To leave condolences visit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *