After much thought and consideration, the Pleasanton Young Farmers Cowboy of the Year Open Rodeo and Festival will not be held this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, nothing can stop the search for the 2020 Cowboy of the Year which began in 1966!
The Cowboy of the Year title is given to a genuine, hardworking individual that not only knows all things cowboy, but is also respected by his peers.
For 54 years, cowboys have been honored with this recognition as well as being named to the South Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame. Nominations are needed and will be accepted for the Cowboy of the Year as well as for inductees into the South Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame.
Cowboy of the Year nominations must be working cowmen and reside in Atascosa County. South Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame nominees must have worked in Atascosa County, but no longer have to be active or living in the county.
Those submitting nominations should include the following information:
• Years of experience as a cowboy;
• Overall knowledge and ability with a horse;
• Ability in working with the trailing cattle herds of various sizes in the brush country;
• Knowledge of cattle habits and ailments;
• Character and dependability; and
• Why the person making the nomination believes his/her candidate is worthy of the Cowboy of the Year title.
A committee of former Cowboys of the Year will judge the entries. Entries should be sent to: Cowboy of the Year, P.O. Drawer 880, Pleasanton, Texas 78064. They may also be emailed to email@example.com.