Before opening the Second Regular Meeting, Commissioners held an Open Public Hearing for the purpose of receiving comments and answering questions on the proposed renaming of CRANE RD. to CRAIN RD.
Iris Porter and Leon Zabava discussed the reasons for suggesting changing Crane Rd. to Crain Rd. It was pointed out that the country road had been purposely named Crain Rd. in earlier years with respect to the Crain family that lived on the road. Later on, signs were put up, unintentionally mispelled, naming it Crane Rd.
Also present at the hearing was Mary (Robert) Baring, sister of Lois Crain who was married to John Arch Crain, son of Lydia Crain (Atascosa County Treasurer for 23 years, from 1939 until 1962). John and Lois Crain lived on Crain Rd. after they married. Rufe Crain, was Atascosa County Treasurer from 1932 until 1939, the last seven years of his life, before his sudden, untimely death. Rufe and Lydia’s first child was Helen Crain Hunter (1920-2003), noted Atascosa County artist.
Atascosa County Commissioners’ Court Second Regular Meeting October 26, 2015 9:00 a.m. Ordered by Hon. Bob Hurley, Atascosa County Judge
Present were all four
Gillespie, (Precinct 1);
William “Bill” Torans,
(Precinct 2); Freddie Ogden, (Precinct 3) & Bill
Carroll, (Precinct 4).
• After call to order of the Second Regular Meeting of Commissioners’ Court, Judge Bob Hurley asked for public comments.
• Frank Herrera from the Lytle area, Precinct 2, under public comments, asked about the possibility of County support for funding of a softball complex in that area.
• Judge Hurley requested discussion and appropriate action concerning changing the name of Crane Rd. to Crain Rd. Commissioners’ Court took no action at this time. After further studies, the Crane Rd. to Crain Rd. name change will be on the agenda at the next Commissioners’ Court meeting on Monday, November 9, 2015.
• The office of Jimmy Day, EMT-P, Atascosa County EMS requested appropriate action concerning Part Time employee raise in wages for 2016. Requested was raising hourly wages from $7.25 per hour to $10.00 per hour for Part Time employees, starting January 1, 2016. Request was granted.
The office of Jimmy Day, then requested approval of Part Time employees list:
Stephan Bowers, EMTB; Jeremy Brett, EMT-B; Andres Cantu, EMT-B; Jorge Casias, EMT-B; Alejandro Ceja, EMT-B; John Crabb, EMT-1; Jerette Ferris, EMT-B; Rosel Flores, EMT-B; Osvaldo Guerra, EMT-B; Alena Berlanga, EMT-B; Tony Hasette, ECA; Jeff Jones, EMT-B; Kenneth Kiser, EMT-B; Mark Manfredi, EMT-B; Rogelio Medina, EMT-B; Sheridan Murry, EMTB; Reuben Peña, EMT-B; David Perez, EMT-B; Ross Phillips, EMT-B; Taylor Phillips, EMT-B; Edward Reid, EMT-B;l Emilio Rodriguez, EMT-B; Melinda Rodriguez, EMT-B; Josh Vorheier, EMT-B.
Request for hourly raise was approved.
• The office of Rene Peña, District Attorney, requested appropriate action concerning personnel. He requested employment of Laura Alaniz, as a Full Time Advocate with an annual salary of $40,000.00 paid from OAG grant, beginning 11-1-2015. Request was granted.
DA Rene Peña then requested appropriate action concerning longevity pay increase of $20.00 monthly for Marc Ledet, Assistant District Attorney, beginning 11-1-2015. Request was approved.
• David Soward, Atascosa County Sheriff, requested appropriate action concerning personnel. He requested employment of Michael A Woodall as a Full Time Corrections Officer at the pay rate of $39,072.00 annually with $120.00 uniform allowance, beginning 11-1-2015. Request was granted.
• Comm. Lonnie Gillespie, Pct. 1, requested appropriate action concerning the purchase of a body camera, $411.96, and an in-car video system, $3950.00, for Constable Percy Medina. Request was approved.
• Comm. Bill Torans, Pct 2, and Molly Solis, Assistant County Attorney, requested appropriate action concerning approval of Burge-Martinez proposal to change from chip seal to hot mix (HMAC) in construction plan on Avery Drive. Request was granted.
• Comm. Bill Carroll, Pct. 4, requested appropriate action concerning a permit for a road bore located on CR 422 by McCoy Water Supply Corp. for Black Dog, LLC. Request was approved.
Comm. Carroll then requested appropriate action concerning a request for a road bore permit on CR 322 by McCoy Water Supply Corp. for Clay Vaughn. Request was approved.
Comm. Carroll requested appropriate action concerning a request for a road bore permit on CR 421 by EOG Resources, Inc. Request was granted.
Comm. Carroll then requested appropriate action concerning a commercial entrance off CR 339 for Murphy Exploration and Production Co., USA. Request was approved.
• Judge Hurley requested appropriate action concerning Adopting a resolution to support Senate Bill 1913 (codified a section 75.401, Government Code) implemented in Galveston County Commissioners’ Court dealing with Commissioners’ Courts in the STATE OF TEXAS and their Budgetary Responsibility. Request was granted.
Judge Hurley then entered a Capital Outlay request concerning purchase of a time clock, accessories and installation from Altex Computers & Electronics in the amount of $7,726.05. Request was approved.
Judge Hurley asked for bills to be paid.
Honorable Atascosa County Judge Bob Hurley mentioned to those in attendance that the next meeting of Commissioners’ Court would be on Monday, November 9, 2015, at 9:00 a.m.
Meeting was adjourned.