July 28, 2014
Hon. Diana Bautista,
Atascosa County Judge
Present were all four Commissioners, Lonnie Gillespie, (Precinct 1); William “Bill” Torans, (Precinct 2); Freddie Ogden, (Precinct 3) & Bill Carroll, (Precinct 4).
• After call to order of the Special Meeting of the Commissioners’ Court, Judge Bautista called on Stuart Knowlton, Atascosa County Representative at the Appraisal District who asked for appropriate action concerning updates for Atascosa County Appraisal District. He mentioned that the Appraisal District’s 2015 Budget would be less than the 2014 Budget.
• Orlando Carrasco, Justice of Peace, (Pct. 2), requested appropriate action concerning reimbursement for 2014 Education and Technology Conference expense to be taken out of the Justice Court Technology Fund for three Precinct 2 reps, in the amount of $1,341.62. Request was approved.
• Atascosa County Clerk Diane Gonzales requested appropriate action concerning personnel. She requested the employment of Margaret Amy LaMore as a Part-Time Deputy Clerk at the pay rate of $10.00/hourly, beginning August 4, 2014. Request was granted.
• Loretta Holley, Atascosa County Tax Assessor-Collector requested appropriate action concerning presentation of 2013 Tax Annual Report. Report was accepted.
• Commissioner Lonnie Gillespie (Pct. 1) asked for appropriate action concerning McCoy Water Supply Corporation request for a road crossing/ road bore located off of Verdi Road. Request was approved.
• Precinct 2 Commissioner Bill Torans then requested appropriate action concerning accepting bid for construction of new Precinct 2 Justice Court Building at a cost not to exceed $691,945.00. Building contract was awarded to Britannia Design-Build, LLC of San Antonio. Construction is expected to take approximately 175 days.
• Bill Carroll, Atascosa County Commissioner, Precinct 4, asked for appropriate action concerning request for commercial entrance off of CR 429 for Abraxas Petroleum Corporation. Request was granted.
Comm. Carroll then requested appropriate action concerning McCoy Water Supply Corporation request for a road bore located at 1528 CR 429. Request was approved.
A request was made by Comm. Carroll for appropriate action concerning McCoy Water Supply Corporation request for a road bore located off of Joe K. Williams Road. Request was granted.
• Judge Diana Bautista requested appropriate action concerning Cost-of- Living Adjustment (COLA) Increase for Retirees. Commissioners’ Court approved a 2 percent COLA increase for retirees for a rate of 7.65%.
Judge Bautista then requested approval of Commissioners’ Court Minutes from previous meetings (May, 2014) Request was approved.
Appropriate action was requested by Judge Bautista for a Resolution Concerning Unaccompanied Foreign Minors (And Adults or Adults Claiming To Be Minors). Proclamation read as follows:
WHEREAS, the current influx of unaccompanied minors (and adults or adults claiming to be minors) across the Southern Border of the United States has overwhelmed the capacity of the Federal Authorities to process these persons in an efficient manner; and
WHEREAS, Federal Law requires a judicial proceeding to determine whether minors (and adults or adults claiming to be minors) from Guatemala, Honduras and San Salvador and/or any other country are the victims of human trafficking or gang violence before deportation; and
WHEREAS, the housing of these minors (and adults or adults claiming to be minors) while awaiting required proceedings for deportation may severely strain local resources and impose an unsupportable burden upon the taxpayers; and
WHEREAS, the care and custody of these minors (and adults or adults claiming to be minors) is a responsibility of the Federal Government;
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Atascosa County Commissioners Court does hereby request that no minors (and adults or adults claiming to be minors) be transferred to Non-Federal Facilities unless the affected local governments, including cities, counties, and school districts, have approved the transfer and conractual agreements have been executed by the Federal Government to fully reimburse such local governments for all costs incurred in the housing, education and maintenance of such minors (and adults or adults claiming to be minors).
PASSED AND ADOPTED ON THIS 28TH DAY OF JULY, 2014.
Diana J. Bautista, Atascosa County Judge; Lonnie Gillespie, Commissioner, Precinct 1; William “Bill” Torans, Commissioner, Precinct 2; Freddie Ogden, Commissioner, Precinct 3 and Bill Carroll, Commissioner, Precinct 4.
Judge Bautista asked for appropriate action concerning Capital Outlay Expenditure Requests.
• Janice Ruple, Atascosa County Tax Assessor- Collector requested appropriate action concerning purchase of table top voting booths (ten packs of 6, includes transport & storage box) for a total of 60 at a cost of $1,108.49 from Intab (Independent Tabulation, Inc.). Request was approved.
Judge Bautista then began the Budget Workshop where different Atascosa County departments discussed their budget proposals.
Judge Bautista ordered bills to be paid and the meeting was adjourned.
Honorable Judge Diana J. Bautista then reminded those in attendance that the next Special Meeting of the Commissioners’ Court would be on Monday, August 4, 2014.