Center Pharmacy now joins the ranks of well-established Texas businesses honored with the Texas Treasure Business Award from the Texas Historical Commission. The public is invited to a reception on Tuesday, Jan. 28 at 2 p.m. when the award will be presented at the pharmacy, 105 N. Smith St. in Pleasanton.
“I just want to say that we are honored and grateful to all of the people that we have served in the last 58 years here in Pleasanton and the surrounding area. We have made a lot of friends and it’s just been a great experience,” said Myron Repka.
Local and state representatives are scheduled to join Center Pharmacy employees for the event.
Center Pharmacy was nominated for the award by the Atascosa County Historical Commission. Current ACHC president is Martin Gonzales.
The Texas Treasure Business Award Program recognizes the accomplishments of Texas businesses that have provided employment opportunities and support to the state’s economy for at least 50 years. The program pays tribute to the state’s wellestablished businesses and their exceptional historical contributions toward the state’s economic growth and prosperity.
Center Pharmacy was sponsored by State Senator Pete Flores and State Rep. Ryan Guillen.
Historical background of Center Pharmacy
In 1948, Frank J. Repka graduated from the College of Pharmacy at the University of Texas in Austin. He got his first job as a registered pharmacist with Parker Drug in Seguin. In 1950, he married Elizabeth, “Eby” Moczgemba. The couple moved to Pleasanton in 1952 and he got a job at Pleasanton Pharmacy at the corner of Main and Hunt in Pleasanton. A few years later, the owner of Pleasanton Pharmacy died suddenly, and Frank purchased the business from the owner’s widow.
In 1961, Frank Repka, a pharmacist and Dr. U.B. Ogden, a physician, partnered together and formed a corporation named Repka Ogden Corporation. Their goal was to build a pharmacy and medical office to service the needs of the citizens of Pleasanton and Atascosa County. They purchased some city lots one block off of Main Street, on North Smith Street, in Pleasanton and built just that.
Frank Repka started Center Pharmacy at 105 North Smith St. and Dr. Ogden ran his medical practice out of the adjoining office at 111 North Smith St. Both leased their space from the Repka Ogden Corporation. Center Pharmacy has employed between four and six employees since 1961.
After the tragic death of Dr. U.B. Ogden in 1964, his family sold their share of the corporation to Dr. John Spencer. In 1969, Dr. Gerald Phillips purchased shares in the corporation and they added another physician office. They changed the corporate name to Medical Center, RPS, Inc. (Repka, Phillips, Spencer). As the community grew, the shareholders continued to add office space to the location and Center Pharmacy continued to service the pharmacy needs of Pleasanton and the surrounding area.
In 1981, Frank’s youngest son, Myron, earned his pharmacy degree from The College of Pharmacy at the University of Texas in Austin. He passed his State Board in 1982 and came to work for his father at Center Pharmacy. In 1993, Center Pharmacy incorporated to become Center Pharmacy, Inc. The corporation had two shareholders, Frank and Elizabeth Repka. Frank passed away in 2010. He was a licensed, practicing pharmacist for 60 years. Frank’s stock was transferred to his son, Myron, and upon the death of Elizabeth (“Eby”), her stock was transferred to Myron as president of the company, and his wife, Dana, became a director. They have made it their mission to continue the same small town, personal service since its beginnings in 1961.
Center Pharmacy has been in the retail pharmacy business, at the same location, for 57 years. Their goal is to provide dependable, personal service to their most valuable assets, you the people.