One hundred years ago, the new Atascosa County Courthouse opened for service. Help celebrate this centennial event by attending the ceremony this Saturday, May 18 at 10 a.m. in the District Courtroom.
The Atascosa County Historical Commission will have local historian, Norman F. Porter Sr., giving a bit of history on the building. Refreshments and tour of the courthouse by Atascosa County Judge Diana Bautista will follow the ceremony.
Construction began on the courthouse in 1912. Four commissioners, T. D. Harrison, W. M. Krisch, T. J. Crouch and W. J. Campbell voted to issue a special courthouse tax – 15 cents on $100 valuation of property – to fund the $65,000 bid.
The courthouse was designed by architect Henry T. Phelps. It is the only Mission Revival courthouse in Texas.
Contractors for the building were Gordon-Jones Construction Company from San Antonio. It was completed in May 1913.
Over the years there have been several renovations. In 2000, a $2.8 million grant was received for the historic restoration. It was completed in 2003 and rededicated at a ceremony held June 14. It currently has had another facelift as described in the article by Leon Zabava on page 3A.
A new pewter type ornament will be available to purchase ($15) as a donation as well as previous commemorative ornaments from the Atascosa County Historical Commission.
The commission’s officers are Norman F. Porter Sr., Chairman; Barbara Westbrook, Vice-Chairman; Morris Porter, Secretary and Sandy Zuniga, Treasurer. Members include County Judge Diana Bautista, County Clerk Diane Gonzales, Jerry Ripple, Louis Rodriguez, John Henserling, Camilla Mitchell, Maria Schultz, Roger Cumpian, Bruce Eichman, Lester Riechert, Mike Lambaria, Norman Porter Jr., Gloria Jenks, Tommy Franklin, Mary Jane Cumpian, Lupe Donato and Mildred Jo Soward.