PISD Community Conversation discusses future of Leming campus
The first of many Leming Community Conversations was held at the Leming Pre-K Center on Wednesday, April 11th. The meeting was organized by Pleasanton ISD Superintendent, Dr. Cynthia Clinesmith, in order to collect input from the Leming community to help decide the future of the buildings and property.
Board members Frank A. “Butch” Tudyk, Jr. and Danny Brown discussed the recent changes that the district will undergo including those in Leming. Due to budget restraints, the prekindergarten program will be relocated to the Primary School. The addition of the PreK students to the Primary School will in turn move the second grade students to the Elementary School which will now contain the second, third, and fourth grades.
“We do not have a definitive plan for the property and buildings in Leming,” stated Dr. Clinesmith. “But we’re very excited about the opportunity to collaborate with the community members and brainstorm together about what the future will hold for this historical location.”
The history shared and collected at the meeting will be used to petition for an official Texas Historical Marker. The Leming School District was formed in 1913 with the first building constructed in 1914. In 1932 the school offered kindergarten through eleventh grade. Students completed their twelfth grade year in Poteet. In 1963 the school consolidated with Pleasanton ISD. According to Alfred Korus, it was for football reasons! In 1964 the school housed first through sixth grades. After the 1965-1966 school year sixth grade moved to Pleasanton, leaving Leming as a first through fifth grade campus. In 2008-2009 first grade was moved to the Primary, and the Leming campus served kindergarten (for Leming students) and PreK for all Pleasanton and Leming students.
The next Leming Community Conversation will be held in June.