2012-02-08 / News

Disabled Veterans may qualify to have some of their property taxes waived

Veterans with a serviceconnected disability are encouraged to file an exemption form to have their 2012 property taxes lowered. Some veterans may even qualify for a 100 percent exemption of their taxes under the law.

The law provides partial exemptions for any property owned by veterans who are disabled, spouses and survivors of deceased disabled veterans and spouses and survivors of military personnel who died on active duty. The amount of exemption is determined according to percentage of service-connected disability.

A veteran’s percentage of service-connected disability determines the amount of the exemption — from a $5,000 to a $12,000 deduction from the veteran’s property value.

Any eligible person who has not received this exemption should apply before May 1, 2012. An applicant may claim the exemption on only one piece of property, such as a home or any other property the applicant owned on Jan. 1, 2012. The applicant must also be a Texas resident to qualify.

A disabled veteran who receives 100 percent disability compensation due to a service connected disability and a rating of 100 percent disabled or of individual unemployability from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or its successor is entitled to an exemption from taxation of the appraised value of the veteran’s residence homestead.

Beginning this year, this benefit has been extended to the surviving spouse upon the veteran’s death with certain restrictions. The residence homestead application must be filed if this exemption is claimed.

For more information about the property tax exemption for disabled veterans or to file anexemption, contact the Atascosa County Appraisal District at 274 S. Fourth Street, Poteet, TX 78065 or by phone 830- 742-3591. More information is also available from the state Comptroller’s Property Tax Assistance Division at 1-800-252-9121 and press “2” to access the menu, and then press “1” to contact the Information Services Team or visit the Comptroller’s website at www.window. state.tx.us/taxinfo/proptax/.

Return to top